Friday, August 27, 2010

Blogging at a snail's pace







Its taken me a whole week to get this done - my laptop is misbehaving. Are laptops subject to the vagaries of the full moon? My week was brightened by news from the kind folks at Yarnmarket.com of the release of issue 48 of Rowan Knitting, chock full of droolable knits and obviously meant for a woman with a stash of wool and no need to buy more (cue irony). I love, love, love these patterns ...



The coming change of season, even though it doesn't happen on time here in Albany, is encouraging everyone to clean up and chuck out, even me. I had a wardrobe cull, which demonstrated that I have enough clothes to last possibly forever. I managed to get rid of some things, hoping to make some space which unfortunately has been immediately filled with other people's chuckouts. It's kind of a clothing roundabout. The circle of life continues. Last weekend's garage saling had been a bit of a disappointment, not many on and not much at the ones which were. We gave in to starvation and went to Ellen Cove, on Middleton Beach, to consume a gourmet snack (cheeseburger, fries, coke - OK, the word gourmet is a bit of a stretch) and watch the whales frolicking in the bay. It was, not to exaggerate, gorgeous. The whale in the shot is the teeny black spot but you get the idea....

Making the most of the short burst of nice weather, I decided to finish another of my son's 18th birthday presents - a cupboard/bookshelf made from a box used to transport bullets. I had been looking everywhere for the right danish oil to finish it off and finally found it. It's organic and smells of lemon and leaves the most beautiful finish on the wood. I left the stencilled writing on the sides, I particularly loved the 'inert projectiles'. Inside, shelves made from recycled pine tongue and groove and sanded garden stakes. From an unattractive and tatty crate an interesting piece of furniture, which reminds me of the depression era packing crate furniture. I have a second box, waiting for a sand on the inside and some shelves - anyone got any floorboards they aren't using?

No comments:

Post a Comment